Between the 1st August, 1947 and the 9th September, 1947, as many as 2,25,000 persons left by foot-conveys from Montgomery to Ferozepur. A convoy of one lakh strength left on foot on the 15th September, 1947. Out of this fifteen thousand or sixteen thousand were at Nankana Sahib and the rest were believed to have crossed the border into the East Punjab. From the September 18th to October 29th, 1947 as many as 24 non-Muslim foot-convoys, totaling 8,49,000 with hundreds of bullock carts and thousands of cattle crossed over to India. Arrangements were made for feeding these convoys during transit by moving with them truckloads of parched gram, wheat atta and gur. The great majority of these migrants were farmers.
In this critical time, the easiest means with rural was the foot convoy. These convoys enabled them to bring with them their bullock-carts and cattle. The route for these convoys was Layallpur - Balloke - Chunian - Ferozepur road. The major portion of the population of districts of Lyallpur, Montgomery, Sheikhupur and Sialkot was evacuated by means of organized convoys. The worst hardships were naturally endured by the foot-passengers. To quote the official report already referred to: The biggest foot-convoy, 4,00,000 strength of the uprooted-non-Muslims population, started from the Canal Colonies of Lyallpur on September 11, 1947. As the convoy took the 150 mile road to East Punjab it was swelled by tributary refugee streams from Gojra, Sumandri and Jaranwala. Leaving their ancestral holdings, the rich canal- irrigated fields, the colonists came with what they could carry. With them came petty shopkeepers, artisans, village menials, landlords, businessmen, doctors and lawyers.
December 10 marks the end of bulk evacuation of Muslims by trains, motor convoys and foot convoys. After this date evacuation, exclusive of 'pocket clearing' from December 11-12 being 40000 only.