Liaison Officers Relate Tale of Atrocities | Tragic Fate of Chiniot People; Mass Forcible Conversions.
JULLUNDUR, Sept. 30. — Most of the liaison officers (supported by L. Mohan Lal and Seth Rattan Chand, who are here) say that there is no planned evacuation. They asserted: “If the Chief Liaison Officer is given, at least, 15 trains daily, 300 trucks and 5,000 military troops, as escort, except certain small pockets in villages all other refugee camps can be cleared within two weeks.
Rai Bahadur Nathu Ram, Chief Liaison Officer, said: “But the Government won’t do it. I don’t understand why?”
All were of the opinion that lorry convoys and convoys on foot, even trains, were partially protected and were without adequate military escort. Many trains and convoys had been attacked on the way, resulting in huge losses. Protection must be afforded by the Hindu and Sikh military.
Immediate evacuation they said was needed from the far-west area of Dera Ghazi Khan, Muzaffargarh, Multan and Mianwali, which are very much disturbed districts.
“For the last one week, trouble has started there. The rural areas have been engulfed. So far, no District Liaison Officer has visited these places for want of escort. Forcible conversions and abductions are the order of the day. Extreme difficulty will be felt to evacuate small pockets in a village of a family or families of 30 or 40 members. Strong military alone can stop abduction of young girls. People are offering themselves for conversions, but their daughters’ hands are demanded for marriages.”
(C) The Tribune